There are so many reasons I love being an entrepreneur and starting something from nothing. I chose this lifestyle because of its flexibility and my desire to develop and build upon my own visions. I never feel more fulfilled than when I start seeing the fruits of my creativity turn into a successful business product/idea. Not going to lie though (and I think a lot of people in my position can relate), there’s a lot of behind the scenes bullshit and completely unglamorous stuff that you encounter in this lifestyle. Being a business owner is not exactly how it appears on social media or in movies. So, I’m going to share with you its harsh realities in an “Instagram vs. Reality” format.
- Instagram: Look, my business just got featured in this magazine! Reality: I had to contact the magazine editor five times before they replied and cried because I almost missed my deadline for submitting the article.
- Instagram: No one can tell me what to do or how to do it. I’m the boss. Reality: I really wish someone would just tell me what to do to make this idea successful right now. I have no idea what I’m doing.
- Instagram: I took a couple of days off this week to relax, no need to request a PTO day when you’re making the decisions! Reality: I feel really guilty about the time I took off for self-care. I should’ve been working…this business isn’t going to grow itself.
- Instagram: Made my first big sale this week! Reality: I needed five sales this week to pay my bills on time.
- Instagram: Thank you to my friends and family for coming out to support me at this event! Reality: This is the first time I’ve been able to see these friends in a month because I’ve been too busy to have a social life.
It’s difficult!!!! It’s certainly not for everyone. Some days, I’m not sure if it’s even for me. It’s worth it, sure, but it can be super draining, tiring, demoralizing, and confusing. After discussions with peer entrepreneurs, we tend to have similar experiences so I just want to share the true stories, keep it real with everyone and let people in my position know, you’re not alone! Keep grindin’ and connect with peers who can relate to the unique struggles of an aspiring entrepreneur. Plus, I’m always here if you need a listening ear or a helping hand…I hope to create another platform sometime soon to allow entrepreneurs to share these struggles and lean on one another during the growing pains. You’ll be the first to know when it’s up and running.
Have a great week!